- The patient & family centered Medical Home makes a difference (Evidence)
- We know that hearing and learning from families is critical (Measurement)
- Learning about the Medical Home and how you can be a partner in care is critical (Articles/Resources)
Primary health care improvement is now very focused on the patient centered medical home. CMHI knows that this is truly about the patient and family centered medical home. There are many family stories and reports that family centered care makes a difference. CMHI has demonstrated that family participation and engagement improves a medical home and when a primary care medical home is patient and family-centered, outcomes improve for families
- Cooley, W., McAllister, J., Sherrieb, K, Kulthau, K., Improved Chronic Condition Outcomes Associated With Medical Home Implementation in Pediatric Primary Care Accepted for publication, Pediatrics, July 2009.
- McAllister, J., Cooley, W.C., Sherrieb, K. Medical Home Improvements Enhance Outcomes for CYSHCN and their Families; NICHQ Annual Forum, March 2007. (Accepted for publication, Journal of Ambulatory Care Management, Spring 2009
The Institute for Family Centered Care includes a comprehensive list of articles supporting these statements. http://www.familycenteredcare.org
What we cannot measure we cannot improve. There are some methods available now to measure the levels of “medical homeness” from a patient and family perspective.
No method is complete without patients and families reporting on their experience of care. CMHI contributed early to this approach with its Pediatric Medical Home Family Index and Survey. CMHI also has a newer, shorter, survey to capture the family experience of care with its newer Pediatric Medical Home Family Survey.
Learning about the Medical Home and how you can be a partner in care is critical (Articles/Resources)
Materials designed to educate families about the Medical Home and tools to help them partner with their own Medical Home or the Medical Home of their children are also increasing. CMHI has developed family presentations, articles, and tools, which support and help develop family roles with their Medical Home.
To learn the basics of medical home and more...
- Extra-Ordinary Care: Improving Your Medical Home (family education module)
- Article “Change is in the Air”
- Article “Do you have a medical home?”
- Parent Partner Guide
- Patient-centered medical home principals
- Pediatric Medical Homes across the country - a video overview compiled by the AAP National Center for Medical Home Implementation. Child Health Day Video
Links to Other Family/Patient Resources
- New Toolkits for Children and Youth with Special Health Care Needs The National Initiative for Children’s Healthcare Quality (NICHQ) offers Children and Youth with Special Healthcare Needs Toolkits to help providers and families better support their care and help to develop community-based systems that address their needs. Of relevance to medical home is the General Tools and Tips for Families of Children and Youth with Special Healthcare Needs toolkit
- New Health Information Technology Fact Sheet for Families
- Make your own care notebook and other tools
- Way to help spread information about Medical Home
- Click to view additional website links